Saturday, February 17, 2024

Review: The Life We Bury

The Life We Bury The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

 I rarely give four stars for a fiction book, but "The Life We Bury" made that cut. (This is a short review, since I don't want to give any spoilers)

Written in first person narration, a college student has a writing assignment, that begins with an assumption that quickly turns into a mission.

While the assignment plays a central role, there are sub-plots that add layers of "what kind of person do I want to be?"

Guilt of the past, obligations of the present and a plan for the future - all there.

This book is the first in a series of five and I've already purchased the next one.

(Spice level = may 1/3 out of five?

There is place in the book that simply says "we made love" without describing the act.

There are a few place with rough language, but no probably less than you might expect if you were witnessing what was happening in the book, 

It's been a while since I've *FELT* a book.  I can be entertained, but this one I felt.  The hopelessness, the mission, the frustration, the victory, the sadness - all without requiring deep thought.

If you want a fiction book that will give you a couple of unexpected plot twists and wrap up in a satisfying way, read this.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment